Create WV is the entrepreneurship and innovation conference for West Virginia communities, schools and business. It’s about building West Virginia’s “innovation economy” for a brighter future with more opportunities and improved quality of life for everyone! Register here
Keynote Speakers and Guests
· Friday 10/26 Breakfast Keynote - Mary Mazzio, Entrepreneur, Olympian, Filmmaker, CEO of 50 Eggs Films – Mary will share her inspiring lessons learned from developing documentary films such as The Apple Pushers and Lemonade Stories about the role of parents and communities in developing entrepreneurship.
· Friday 10/26 Lunch Keynote - Dr. Brian Hemphill, President, West Virginia State University – Dr. Hemphill is the dynamic new president of West Virginia State University. Dr. Hemphill will share his vision for how communities and colleges can partner to drive the innovation economy together. Also, Lou Myers, Actor (A Different World), Entrepreneurship Advocate – Acclaimed WV native actor and entrepreneur Lou Myers will share his lessons learned from developing entrepreneurship among young people in urban areas and will serve as our special guest during the “Creative Cone” awards which recognize some of WV’s most impactful innovators!
· Saturday Breakfast Networking Speaker – Paul Daugherty and Generation West Virginia – The team from Generation West Virginia will lead an important review of their young talent development strategy for West Virginia. This is an important your community or company shouldn’t miss!
· Saturday 10/27 Dinner Keynote - Nikki Bowman, Founder/Publisher of New South Media (WV Living Magazine) – Not many business experts would advise starting a print magazine (a very tough industry) in West Virginia (one of the poorest states in the country). Yet WV native Nikki Bowman did just that and has been very successful at it. What innovative approaches has she taken that you can learn from?
· FestivALL Fall!
· Wow! Charleston’s celebrated arts and cultural festival is holding a special fall edition! When you come to Create WV 2012, you’ll enjoy FestivALL Fall’s incredible lineup such as Taste of FALL, HallowEast, boat rides on the Nina and Pinta, No Pants Players, Capitol Market Art Fair, Hello Dolly at the Clay Center, Public Art Tours and so much more!
Training Tracks for Entrepreneurs, Educators and Communities
· For entrepreneurs: Meet over a dozen entrepreneurs and innovative business leaders such as Paul Helmick of Statenewslines, Nesha Sanghavi of University Girls Apparel, Dave Arnold of Class VI/Adventures on the Gorge, John Gaddis of Gaddis Consulting Group, Linda Bodie of the new Element Federal Credit Union and several more who are at different stages of their company’s growth who can give you the advice you need to start or expand your company. Attend valuable training and discussion sessions to prepare you for success!
· For educators: Learn how to develop more creative, entrepreneurial students who are prepared for the “Innovation Economy.” Meet inspiring teachers from public and private schools and colleges who are leading the way with inspiring projects with their students.
· For communities: No matter what situation your community faces, you CAN determine your future by applying creative community principles. Hear leaders from Create Huntington, Create Buckhannon and Southwest Virginia with real world stories of frustration and, ultimately, success!
Start NOW Fair
· Saturday, 10/27, 12pm – 5pm - Mingle with creatives, entrepreneurs, and service providers who are ready to help YOU develop and launch your idea! Listen to “micro” presentations on topics such as social media and how to be more creative in your life! NOTE: This event is FREE to the public!
Conversation: Energy and The Creative Community
· Saturday, 10/27, 1:30pm – 3:30pm - The shale gas opportunity continues West Virginia’s heritage as an energy leader for our nation. This interactive conversation will explore the public’s concerns about the impact of shale gas drilling on the environment and focus on the relationship between the energy sector and creative communities with the goal of changing the State’s economic future. An important dialogue that everyone should be a part of!
· Friday, 10/26 – 5:30pm – 8:30pm – Meet with experts from legal, marketing, financial, HR, nonprofit and community development fields to get free feedback on your ideas or challenges in business, education and community scenarios. It’s a valuable way to not just network but learn from some of the brightest minds in the state!
Entrepreneur Incubators Tour
· Friday, 10/26 – 5:30pm – 8:30pm - Want to attract and develop more entrepreneurs and creatives in your community? Take an informative tour with the Charleston Area Alliance (yes, food will be served along the way!) to see first-hand how Charleston has been building an attractive environment for entrepreneurs. Includes stops via trolley to the new Charleston Area Alliance incubator, the DigiSo (digital and social media) program at West Virginia State University’s Economic Development Center, and the Chemical Alliance Zone incubator in the South Charleston Tech Park. You’ll also meet actual entrepreneurs who are taking advantage of the opportunities these incubators have to offer!
Pitch YOUR Idea Contest
· Saturday, 10/27, 12pm – 5pm - Ten bold innovators each from business, education and communities will be pitching their exciting new ideas to building a business or special project that drives West Virginia’s “Innovation Economy” to further heights. You can be inspired by their ideas, but also get to vote on the finalists at the Saturday keynote dinner!
Uncork and Create!
· Saturday, Oct 27, 6:30pm – 8:30pm – Join a talented local artist who will lead you step by step in the creation of your own 16x20 masterpiece! No prior art experience necessary. All materials and supplies will be provided.
· Throughout the conference, a group of talented young people will be creating their own video with the DigiSo program @ West Virginia State University’s EDC about what young people need to thrive in West Virginia. Their creative and inspirational project will be shown at the Saturday keynote dinner!
WV Young Talent Showcase
· Saturday, 10/27, 5:30pm – 6:30pm – During the closing keynote dinner, you’ll be amazed at the boldness and talent of some of West Virginia’s young performers such as the Miss Behavin’ all-girl rock band from Princeton, WV’s, Stages Music School and Hannah Peterson, who at age 11 has already shared the stage with Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr., and performed with the WV Symphony!
Whew! That’s a lot of creating! You can see why so many people have enjoyed the prior four Create WV Conferences. It doesn’t matter who you are – young or old, small town or city, business person, artist or teacher – Create WV has something for you to help you build a more creative West Virginia!
Register today! Special rates are available this year, and you can also attend one day or even one dinner. See you in Charleston October 26-27!